Tuesday 5 August 2008

The Dark Knight

We scooted down to the movies earlier and saw the ‘Batman’ film ‘The Dark Knight’ – I’d been looking forward to seeing it for some time mainly because I was fascinated about the character of The Joker, played by the late Aussie actor, Heath Ledger.

We were in Australia earlier this year when his sudden and tragic death was reported and like all Aussie ‘icons’ – and Heath Ledger really WAS one of those – there was a major outpouring of national grief; the TV and newspapers were absolutely FULL of it seemingly for weeks on end!

Watching the film I can understand why famous actors like Sir Michael Caine feel that he deserves a posthumous Oscar for his magnificent and awesome performance as The Joker – he really brings the character ALIVE in so many ways.

In the UK it’s been given a ‘12’ certificate which for me is slightly weird as some of the scenes are quite violent and ‘scary’ – but then what do I know?!!

If you haven’t seen it yet, I think its well worth a watch to see a rather special actor in a role which strangely suited him so well - oh and also for the superb special effects.

…and Batman himself? You know something; I can’t remember who played him – I guess that also says something when the ‘star’ is eclipsed by someone else!!