Saturday 14 June 2008

Yes, Chef!!

As most of you know, I normally live in the shadow of one of the really GREAT cooks in the world; yes, it’s my dear wife Shirley.

Well, these are unusual times – Shirley is currently hobbling around on crutches following surgery on her right foot last Monday so yours truly is having to resort to previously ‘hidden reserves’ in surviving; yes, thank goodness I was a Boy-Scout!! Um, in my early teens, I was actually a Patrol Leader of the Kingfisher Patrol in the 7th Orpington Scout Troop, many, many moons ago!! So I learned how to survive, knots and all!!

Well, tough times call for tough measures and as the saying goes, ‘when the going gets tough, the tough get going!!’

Since Shirley got discharged last Tuesday I’ve been very busy, domestically that is! Yes, administering to every whim and request from my dear wife as well as vacuuming, laundry, shopping, bed making and all those things that guys normally DON’T do but somehow miraculously do get done by ‘the fairies’ – cooking maybe included!

Now I know that among my friends far and wide there are some, not many I admit, who DO possess those culinary skills but up to now I’ve been in the majority, quietly enjoying the splendid cooking of our wives and relying on maybe just ‘setting the table’ and ‘washing up’ (um, that’s simply pressing the button on the dishwasher) as our contribution to the meal!

But here guys – I’ve broken NEW GROUND!! Yes, I’ve done my bit at the BBQ, pretending that ‘I’ve cooked the meal’ when I’ve only just stood over the flames and turned the beef burger or sausages over at the right moment. But REALLY cooking? Well listen here!

So far this week (and hey it’s still only Saturday!) I’ve served up Lasagna, Pork Chops with Pears and Maple Syrup, Roast Chicken Breast with Blue cheese, wrapped in bacon and tonight the ‘Pièce de résistance’ (so far!) Chicken Biryani served with roasted nuts, chilies and Nan bread and accompanied by a nice bottle of Spanish Rioja!! Plus I’ve roasted some very nice sweet peppers and served these for as a garnish for a salad lunch or two!

Oh and I’ve washed up as well!!

OK, I know I’ve got some catching up to do with some other members of my family and friends but I’m trying!!

Eat your heart out Jamie Oliver!!